Friday, October 19, 2007

A dip on the Dipper

I don't like roller coasters. No, I don't! There have been many instances when I have stood in the que for an hour and then chickened out when the enormity of the fall has struck me (my husband would be more than willing to testify on that one). With those high falls, my heart skips not just one but many beats... I shout and scream... sometimes even pray that I come out alive! They are simply scary. (Don't take me wrong though... I sure have ridden many before coming to this conclusion!.. and yet... I sometimes do like riding one.)

But this one was different... I am talking about the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz, California. A mid size, wooden roller coaster, which at some point in history was one of the giant coasters around in the United States... In fact, it was one of the few around.

This woodie was first built in 1924 and happens to be the 6th oldest roller coaster in the U.S., continuously operating in its original location.

Painted Red and White, it is a landmark of the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and is a National Historic Landmark! It is said that the dipper would have hosted 55 million people at the end of 2007!

The coaster was built in just 47 days and cost $50,000. And, it cost $135,000 to paint it in 2001! Not just that...in 1924 the fare was only 15 cents; today it’s $4.50 for a one-ride ticket.

This roller coaster is quite a star as well. It appears in television commercials and videos for Mitsubishi, Ford Motor Company, Levi’s, Coors Light, the National Association of Credit Unions, Sony, U.S. Air, MTV, Yahoo, etc, etc, etc! It has also been featured in movies Sting II, The Lost Boys, Dangerous Minds, and Sudden Impact.

At a speed of 55 mph, the Giant Dipper has no loops and its drops are fun. when on the top one can see the Santa Cruz beach and the buzzy Boardwalk. And when the cars roll down the tracks, the rattling wood reminds the age of this structure.

It is said the Dipper works its magic on couples... tugging to my husband's arms...and screaming as my stomach tumbled inside...I was laughing as the ride ended... The Giant Dipper's charm sure worked on us.

17 comments:

The 'Mad' Orchid said...

Woooooooooooohhhhhhhhh....
M tooooooooo scared to go on this alone..... :) hey this wil b fun...grt u enjoyed so much infact ur lucky indeed with someone u love beside u the roller coster isnt tht hard bitting or bad na bt on d more mkes it more thrilling n sweet,throughly enjoyed myslf...
Luv n tkcr...

Yoga Gal said...

I love, love, LOVE roller coasters! That one looks like fun! Okay, you may need to clean your seat afterwards but fun!

Reeta Skeeter said...

Lol...sahi sahi... All said and done I have never and will never ride one... mera to heart hi fail ho jayega hehe...enjoy!

indicaspecies said...

Sometimes the laughter at the end of it all is out of nervousness and relief that it ended!

I've had some amazing rides at 6 flags in Aurora, Ohio, quite a few years back. It's been crazy and yet fantastic! Your posting brought back the good memories, thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

been there, done that and love it. I did not know the info you added.
thanks

Anonymous said...

I always think these babies look like fun, but have never been on one. I don't much like being sick!

Happyone said...

OH, I love roller coasters!! I've never been on this particular one, but I've been on many. The first one at Palisades Park when I was a kid.

Occasional Brilliance said...

yeeeeeeeeeeeeha!!! i do hate roller coasters... bt i did gt on 1 with tanuj (hu was later 2 bcome my bf) n i do think tat has a lot 2 do wid d fact tat we fell in luv

imac said...

I hate heights. specially when feet hanging.In Austria there's this cable car but closed in so I stood and thought, to photograph the Alps from the top won.

Anonymous said...

I only like old wooden roller coasters, not the new fancy loopy ones, way too scary for me.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

That was a nice experience, a little bit tame but still exciting. What's important is that both you and your husband enjoyed every minute of your ride on that vintage roller coaster. Thanks for the wonderful post. Smile. God bless and have a wonderful and pleasant day.

GMG said...

Don't like roller coasters either, but this one seems quite impressive!
Loved to see your blog. Some beautiful pictures and quite interesting texts. Couldn't hardly believe how silly people can be when reat your Stonehenge post...
Thanks for your visit and comment to Blogtrotter. You're always welcome! (and there are some pictures of Stonehenge also; see label)
Have a great week.
Gil

ToOothlEss WOndeR! said...

I'm the mr.bean type, i guess. i find them downright boring.
and i suspect that is one of the reasons why the friends call me the bore.
Thanks for coming by.
and know what, i have someone living up the street from where i live who has the same last name as you. :)

Anonymous said...

Woah....you surely has lots of fun there. I guess it must had been a thrilling experience for you although I am also a bit scared about roller coasters...Hope the magic worked, lovely reading!

Pijush said...

Nice to know you enjoyed this one, same for me, I dont like it, but sometime it is ok. Last time I took it in Athens which I truly enjoyed.Nice post with good information, added your blog in my reader. keep coming.

Swetha said...

Roller coasters always scare the hell outta me. Never been there or done that :-(

Lakshmi said...

OOh ! Im scared of roller coasters ..as a kid I was scared of the simple merry go rounds and anything that goes round , gives me the jitters