Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Turkish Delight!

“Marhaba,” my friend Ayfer said as I made my way out of the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. Instantaneously, a vague song that went like “Marhaba, Marhaba...,” went on in the back of my head and I realized it was the Turkish way of saying hello. I reciprocated her gesture.

Traveling is not just going to different lands, seeing the historical and famous buildings there, trying out new cuisines or meeting new people. There is more to this very popular activity. An important element of travel is communicating with the new people from these new cultures and lands. Language crisis is something that can change the very experience of a journey. For some it can put a damper on their much wanted vacation, while for others it can be the spice of a trip. I guess I fall in the latter category.

Born and brought up in India and studied in an English medium school, I was very confident of my verbal English skills and never gave a thought about communication troubles when I planned a trip across the world. But it did not take me much time to realize what I had missed. Reality bites hard, and for me, it was indeed very hard. This was my first brush with non-English speaking community and I was at a loss. Full of enthusiasm and zest, I made my way out of the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. But soon I was lost to the core. There were no hoardings in English and hardly anyone spoke my language!

Soon it turned out that spending time with Ayfer was not going to be as easy as I thought. My host’s English was just as good as my Turkish! And my mind raced with ideas how I was going to manage in this Middle-Eastern country. After the cordial exchange of greetings, we did not know how to strike a conversation.

It is said that actions speak louder than words, and soon we discovered the pleasures of the sign language. Ayfer would compliment the signs with her broken one-or-two-word English and I would try to respond back in the same manner – not going too fast and breaking my sentence into words so she could understand. I was convinced that by the time I left Turkey, I would have forgotten English grammar!

My nightmare came when I boarded a night bus to get to Bursa and meet my friend Melek. To my horror, there was not a single English-speaking soul on the bus. Forget about speaking, they wouldn’t even understand! The bus got delayed ‘cuz of heavy rain and I was starting to worry if I had missed my stop. What was I going to do if this thought was true! Trying to inquire from the bus attendant was futile and I decided to go with the flow. In my mind, planning different strategies what I was going to do if I had really missed the stop. It was my good luck that I had not and that they did spell out the town’s name in English at the bus terminal. Even the bus driver tried his best: “Ladies and Gentleman, we have landed Bursa Terminal. Our take-off time is 12.20 am”. I knew it was time to disembark.

Melek had smartly planned my visit. Anticipating the language problem, she had an English-Turkish digital dictionary handy. And, this was going to be our lifeline for the next three days. It was then I realized how she had managed to write me letters in English for the past three years.
Each time we wanted to talk, Melek would open the dictionary and we would key in what was to be said. And our kind dictionary would obligingly give us an instantaneous English translation, saving us the torture of making stupid actions or trying to decipher what the other was trying say.

The language crisis made my visit to Turkey an everlasting memory!

15 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

MF!

Reeta Skeeter said...

Wowwwww!!!
What a post!
I love picture 1.
And finally!!! I get to hear some tales from your Turkish visit...
Be prepared to be bombarded with questions now :P
And yeah, I like what you said about Travel... it means communicating as well! (For me it means food and photography..diff ppl..diff perspectives...but on second thoughts communication is very imp too!)
You rock!
Nice to see you posting again :)

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Juhi,
That was a nightmarish experience in Turkey. But you came out of it in one piece and you really enjoyed your stay there. You must have been experiencing mixed feelings while you were there. You were having problem in communicating and at the same time you have to enjoy your stay there and
squeeze the dollar value of your vacation. What a situation you got yourself into. Thanks for the wonderful post. God bless and have a wonderful and pleasant day always.

Ashley said...

Great blog! Your photos are amazing! I look forward to reading your posts... do you mind if I link your blog to mine?

Anonymous said...

Superb...now I know what to do when I go to Timbutku and do not know the language!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How interesting! I lived in Istanbul 3 years, but we studied the language months before we first went. I can't imagine not knowing a word, it must have been frustrating. But I love the human connection you can feel with people beyond the language barrier.

Thanks for visiting Flying!

Anonymous said...

great captures and here also. and useful infos

Ash said...

I'm a big fan of Orhan Pamuk. I've always wanted to visit Turkey!

dRoZzY!!! said...

oh hell...
Turkey, is where I want to die.
This post is like salt on my raw wounds...

Unknown said...

I was waiting for the updates!!!
Turkey must have been an awesome experience for you. I envy you...

Lakshmi said...

awesome..I understand what you mean by a lang issue making a trip good or bad .I had a similar experience in europe ..but the people were awesome and i had a great time..

MedaM said...

The first and second photo of this post is just fantastic! And your story is interesting and exciting.

aneri_masi said...

Hi Juji...loved your blog...mind if I blog-roll you?

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

You are tagged. Please go to my blog- Random Thoughts, and read my latest post "10 Reasons Why I Blog." After reading it, please make your on post on "10 Reasons Why I Blog," then copy the tagboard after the meme and add your name next to mine. Then tag as many persons as you could, giving them these same instructions. Please copy and include the tagboard after your meme and instruct those you will tag to do the same. This will ensure a tremendous surge in the number of traffic and viewers in our respective blogs. Do this and see how traffic and viewership figures in your blog increase exponentially. Thank you very much and God bless.

Raj said...

Hi Juhi,

I loved reading your blog!!!

Rajashree