Monday, October 8, 2007

Save that walk

I learnt a new and conveniently important lesson in travelling last week. I was on a trip to California and you see I haven't yet started driving in this country. So I mostly rely on local transportation and often have to walk long distances to reach a destination.

I was in Sacramento and wanted to see the Towe Auto Museum. This collection of vintage cars is located about 2 miles from public transportation... so I printed out the directions and took on the foot... though I walked for a while... almost a mile later I got to a point where the sidewalks ended and the only option was to walk on the road. With the scorching heat on my head, I decided to give up.

I sat on a bench and started scurrying through the museum's pamphlet, trying to console myself that I was not going to miss much. And, that's when I saw "Free Shuttle" service that they offered. I immediately called them up and ten minuets later I was picked up in a 1916 vintage car and taken to the museum.

Moral of the story: Many sightseeing and tourist places offer shuttle services from bus stops, train stations, hotels and malls. You may want to check it up by calling them before walking down unnecessarily.

7 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

LMAO! Silly billi! ;D Kuch ni hota thoda chal liya to :P Aage se sab jankaari haasil karke jaana taaki apke charanon ko kasht na ho :D

Anonymous said...

wonderful reading this post...You have a lovely blog woith lots of nice posts. I will be back later to read the other ones...very nice!

AmitL said...

Hi,Juhi..tks for the visit to my blog,and do be back.:)

This was one nice post-I guess we live and learn,like you did about the shuttle services..it must be so nice to travel in shuttle services in Sacramento.(Most of my knowledge about the place is through books and movies)

M A D said...

your pics collection is too good yaar..

nice blogs in few words..

hope to see more in future.. keep posting.. :)

Ali said...

LOL, don't you just hate it when that happens! How fantastic to be picked up in such a beautiful car though. Hope you enjoyed your trip after all.

Thx for stopping by my place.

Lakshmi said...

this would have saved me hours of walking ...but sometimes its fun discovering a city that way

ASHE said...

Hi, Juhi, thanks for stopping by to see my blog! I see you have discovered that the US is often lacking in public transportation. But what a great way to arrive at the museum, in a vintage car. My uncle has a early-era vehicle, and it is very cool!