Thursday, September 6, 2007

Flagged wisdom

So, I was at Barnes & Noble today when I saw a pack of Tibetan prayer flags on sale. They have reminded me of my involvement with the Tibetan cause....yeah that was some time back though! Back in the 90s, I was quite involved in the whole Tibetan movement for autonomy. I, along with my sister started the Delhi chapter of the Indo Tibet Friendship Forum and also took part in many rallies to protest Chinese possession of the small Himalayan country.

My mind wanders back to those days today...of meeting The Dalai Lama, making posters over night at the Tibetan Youth Hostel in Delhi and organizing debates on the topic across the Delhi University. And with that, all the delicious Tibetan food that I hogged on while doing all that.

Yeah, I am still sitting at the book store while I write this.

Coming back to the prayer flags, it was the first time I visited Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, when I saw these prayer flags flying high in the sky. The White, Red, Green, Blue and Yellow flags... attached to a rope, cris-crossed the streets. They not only added color but also gave the place an instant Tibetan character.


The Tibetan prayer flags are considered extremely sacred and you may find them at every Tibetan, home, temple, restaurant, shop... or any other place you are able to think. Why so important? They have many Tibetan Mantras, prayers and chantings printed on them and considered an important part of the temples.
Often, they are put up in the airy and open spaces. Tibetans believe that wind will carry the sacred mantras and chantings and their goodwill across the world, which would touch the lives of every human being!

11 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

"Tibetans believe that wind will carry the sacred mantras and chantings and their goodwill across the world, which would touch the lives of every human being!"
How nice... I shall definitely visit dharamshala one day :)

Mumma's musings said...

This has inspired me to visit dharamshala atleast once in my life..

Unknown said...

Wana go to Dharmshala too!!

flags thngy ws interesting...not sure if it works...otherwise tibet wundt b facing soo many probs..!

Anonymous said...

Pleased to know you still remember those college days.
Well there are many thing that might be completely new to you about Tibet and Tibetans. Daramsala is good place to explore.
Keep blogging, also about Tibet!

Hardik said...

Now, I definetly feel like visiting dharamshala at least oncee..i think it's worth a visit..

Shohini Gupta said...

nice to know that you were supporting the tibetan cause. last year. me and my husband went to dharmshala and loved it. since then we are passive supporters of the cause and try and buy as less chinese items as possible. we also have those tibetan flags in our home as a mark of suport.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of tibetian settlement in Byalekuppe in Coorg (Karnataka)

Juhi said...

Skeeter: A visit there is totall worth it :)
----
Parul: Yeah...u must.
----
Madhur: The thought is wonderful...even if it doesnt work...they atleast have such pious thought.
----
Anonymous: Tseten...I know its you. Thanks
----
Hardik: yeah on ur next trip to India may be.
----
Shohini: Thats nice. I remember burning Chinese items in front of the embassy in Delhi.
----
Yogee: ya they are spread all over.

Rashmi Jhamb said...

I have visited dharamshala in the feb this year....and those flags reminded me of the trip....its good to know you too think what china is doing is wrong...

Juhi said...

Rashmi: I have been very acive with the Tibetan community since my college days...hoping that one day China wud mend its ways.

Emrick said...

I believe that each thought has energy, and that if we truly are sincere in connecting with others in our life, we reach a level of good deed doers. I went to Tibet, We visited a nun monastery, and their open mind and welcome was so warm. A good book to read about thought energy: Power Vs. Force, by David R. Hawkins. Ohm Mani Padme Om.