Thursday, September 13, 2007

A sloppy show

After attending his show at the NY fashion week last Friday, I am almost tempted to label Sabyasachi Mukherjee's Spring-Summer 2008 collection as sloppy! I am sure that raises a few eyebrows here and there, but I am driven by my honesty.

I won't say I am a fashion expert...but as a New York journalist, I sure have seen tad-a-few shows in the City to be able to comment on one. Being a New Yorker itself teaches you some very basic lessons of fashion. And if you live in this high profile city and want to jive-in with the rest of the Big Apple(ites), you sure would be following some good fashion sense.

Coming back to Sabyasachi's collection. Well, I am having to work some extra brain cells to be polite. No, I am not his critique....neither do I despise the designer...in fact I have been a fan of his...till last season, so to say. As much as I appreciated his collection at the New York Fashion Week in 2006, I also wore a Sabyasachi-inspired Saree for my own engagement this summer.

And, whatever I write here is out of sheer disappointment I went through last week. I think I was hoping for something much better. or shall I say much..much..much better.

For whatever I have understood about fashion shows and organizing one, I know for a fact that the success lies in its planning. I have interviewed many Indian and New York based designers and most of them suggest that not only should one have the best of the designs to show off... one must also plan for the right models...and for the right accessories to go with the designs...shoes, hair.. accesories...music...seating arrangement...and everything else.

Sabyasachi's show seemed to fail on many counts apart from the clothes. The designs did not offer anything fresh or out of the box. None would say that this was one of his spectacular shows where he presented something new. They were the same Sabyasachi cuts...same colors and same patterns.

But even if we leave the designer's creativity aside, even the planning wasn't up to the mark. Most models walked the ramp in their sneakers...and by New York fashion standards, that wont be flying too well. For the upscale New Yorker never thinks of anything less than stilettos and pumps.

There were also no accessories used to complete the looks. No hair-does... no hand bags and no jewelery. So the collection looked pretty much incomplete.

I do understand that coming from India, its a huge investment for anyone to show in NYC...but then if you are doing it...do it right! For the benefits that you may reap may even be better!

9 comments:

Reeta Skeeter said...

Awww what a blande show... Well these designers should take up less of work rather than being so greedy, and out in theri best in that less work..err or so I guess..Sabya is no doubt a good designer, hopefully you shall see some of his fresh work next time... NIce post btw. :D

Mumma's musings said...

Surprised to know that Sabya's show could have gone sooo wrong... The models looked tired too. Overall, it seems an unplanned show.Anyways, all the best for his future shows...hope he doesn't repeat this mistake.

Overall, a nice post.

Suhita said...

Loved this post! And was shocked to see Sabya's collection. The models look exhausted. The shoes the dresses are awful. Wonder why Sabya made such boring and unexciting designs and presented in the West.

keshav said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

well...whneva such fashion weeks happen in india ...we cal em
"India Fashion WEAK"

Unknown said...

Waise i am a fan of sabya... i like his designs

Juhi said...

Skeeter: yea i was so disspaointed.
----
Parul: I was totally surprised. Never thought he could do such bad work
----
Suhita: I too am wondering!
----
Keshav: Thanks for pointing my mistake. Doesnt make me a novice.
----

Madhur: ya I like him too :) but just got a sock seeing his collection.

Ming the Merciless said...

Wow, I can't believe how bad the make-up and hair are. Yes, you are right to call it sloppy.

keshav said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.